Monday, January 22, 2007

Son of Hades

They used to call me that in college. But I digress. What an outstanding episode! Can it keep getting better? If so, we are in store for a great season. I almost should have waited for this episode to make my comments about Marc Anthony, but his actions prove my point. I stated it last week, and Octavian says it in this episode: "He is not fit to lead."

I suppose Vorenus is the title character in this episode. Erastes was the brutal captain that controlled the Aventine. Vorenus separated his body from his head for him. That's what it takes to control the Aventine, and that's what it will likely take to control Rome. Brutality. Ruthlessness. Otherwise, it falls into chaos at the hands of warlords. As Vorenus sinks deeper into the depths of Hades, Pullo remains the moral epicenter of the show. BTW, was that Vorenus' children at the end? Hmm?

I'd like to thank my anonymous friend for commenting below with his/her wonderful insights. However, I disagree with you on a comment. While I agree Octavian, soon to be Augustus, is brilliant, I do not think he is ethical (unless you believe in ethical relativism, but that's a subject for a different blog). In fact, I believe it is his dysfunctional upbringing that deprives him of a moral compass. He is politically astute, there is no doubt, but he is an opportunist. In fact, Julius Caesar had a sense of compassion that Octavian lacks (remember he forgave Brutus and Pompey). History tells us, and I'm assuming we'll see somewhere in this season, that Octavian obliterates his enemies. He seeks revenge for the murder of Caesar. Though, he makes an alliance with Anthony, it will break because he has no intent of sharing power with Anthony, and Anthony is too foolish gain/keep control on his own. Furthermore, he will kill (or have killed) the son of Cleopatra, Cesarion, who is potentially an heir to the thrown as the son of Caesar. Indeed, I see the conflict brewing as I believe he will ask Pullo to commit this heinous act. Of course, there is a chance that Pullo is actually the father. The question is: will he do it? Pullo's ethics will be tested.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Perhaps you are correct in your analysis of Octavian. You seem to know more about Roman history than this humble correspondent. If Pullo is asked to kill Cleopatra's son it will be an interesting development and put Titus in a very difficult situation (sort of a Roman version of Sophie's Choice or, perhaps, more like Abraham and Isaac). We'll see. Got to run. '24' will be on soon.

Anonymous said...

I think you are correct about Octavian not being a moral person. At least by today's standards. I believe he is in line with the thought process of ancient Rome though. That being said..what a wonderful episode with long term implications!! Vorenus has accepted Anthony as his "Master on Earth"!! Vorenus is going to that dark place Pullo went last season, will he be able to pull himself out?
I find it interesting that the two "brothers" have swapped places in life. Pullo with the wife and reason to live, Vorenus with nothing to live for.
It will be interesting to see how their friendship plays out, Vorenus with Anthony and Pullo with Octavian. Of course maybe Vorenus will realise that siding with Octavian will be the best way to make up for "eing resp for Ceasars death."

Anonymous said...

Marc Antony buggers boys like you for a morning snack! You gotta love the one liners!

Torsch69 said...

I was definitely amused by that line. Nice little reminder of times. They should call him Marc Anfoley.

Also, great points, especially about Pullo and Vorenus switching places! I hadn't thought of that.

Definitely, from the perspective of moral relativism, Octavian was probably as moral as the next person.

I'm wondering if Pullo realizes (or will realize) it was a mistake to go to Anthony.